Printfriendly

Monday, August 26, 2013

Four Tier German Chocolate Cake

Print Friendly and PDFHere is the birthday cake I made for a very dear friend's big 50th birthday who is a fantastic artist, especially mosaics!

Made with dark chocolate cake, pecan coconut frosting, chocolate gauche, broken milk chocolate Hershey bars and whole pecans.  Fresh red roses added a touch of beauty... the sparklers were a great touch when we brought it out to her.  The entire cake was consumed in one evening by a silly fun and musical crowd of friends.

I used spring form pans, baked the cakes and made the frosting's ahead of time.  I assembled it at the party in the back studio.  Way easier to transport the cake to the party that way.  I used strong plastic straws inside each tier for support.  It took about 2 hours to assemble and decorate.  She was surprised.  She is an amazing baker herself and has made me numerous yummy birthday cakes over the years.  I had to try something extra special for her milestone birthday.  This was my first try at multi-tier cakes.  It's not that hard to do.  Just make sure you get a cake turn table, it was the key to the success.

No comments:

Post a Comment