Printfriendly

Friday, May 27, 2011

Loving Food, Longing Heart . . .

Ted Kratter, a very close, insanely musically talented, highly intelligent, funnier then hell, dear brave friend of mine, just passed away from cancer.

I eat pretty healthy week days, but bring out the hot and wild forbidden dishes for special occasions.  He really loved my cooking.  There is nothing like playing great music with good friends and sharing in all kinds of loving crazy food and home brew together...and we did!  
You can count on being hit by the Scoville scale as well as the Jazzy diminished scale when Miss Tré Taylor is in the house.  Ted and I have brewed many an Ale, Stout & IPA together, side by side, and while the kettles were a bubbling, he would pull out his guitar & mandolin and we would croon us some mighty tasty tunes.  Here are a couple live recordings of Ted and I last year at Wavy Gravy's Hog Farm up in Northern California.

He made some outstanding beer!  There were many dishes I made over the years that he would sing my praises for.  For his memorial service, I made a few:



The Ted Memorial - Tré Threat Mac & Cheese







 I miss him so much.  I can't believe he is gone.  There are so many great stories I could tell you about him, I can't even begin to write them.  Ted made me laugh.  He had the greatest smile.  There was a level to his perceptiveness and delivery that made his humor timing impeccable.

Ted was the real deal when it came to pro level musicianship, he didn't want to "Go to the show' though he easily could have. He lived to write music and play with his friends.  Ted was a  VERY SMART DUDE, he made his big bucks back in the 'Dot Com' days at National Semi Conductor, so he was able to retire early so he had the time for nothing but music.  He wowed top movers and shakers in the music world, jamming with big names from the High Sierra Music Festival, Strawberry Music Festival and many others.
Ted was a great story teller, and very dear friend.  There is a big hole in my heart that is missing him BIG TIME.  Life just won't be the same without him.  Every time I wrap a Jalapeno pepper stuffed with cream cheese  and throw it on the grill, I will think of Ted standing there drooling and panting and pushing others away to be the first one in line.  

I love you Ted.  Rest in peace my brother.  Save a cold one for me, and I'll see ya on the other side.

No comments:

Post a Comment