Printfriendly

Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Apple Smoked Prime Rib ~ Gourmet Camping Food

Last year at Wavy Gravy's Hog Farm on a camping trip I made my first smoked prime rib. It’s my kind of camping; the place has flushing toilets, hot showers and a big open community kitchen all in the middle of a beautiful forest. I’ve been going up there twice a year for about 8 years now. In that time, I have cooked up a lot of dangerously bad girl goodness. When you are camping, you have the time it takes to do some great slow cooked masterpieces. This one was a huge hit!

I wore out my Brinkman Smoker after 6 years of serious use. My friends surprised me on my birthday shortly after the Brinkman death and bought me the best gift ever. The Masterbuilt 7 in 1 Smoker and Grill It’s charcoal or propane baby! For her maiden smokeage I used the propane for this recipe. It was the prime rib I have ever had.
An important thing you need to make sure you buy the finest roast you can. Go to a real meat market if you have one or call your butcher to order one in advance. I served this with Creamed Horseradish and made Grilled Yorkshire pudding with the smoky meat drippings in a cast iron muffin pan. Gourmet Camping food... this is easy and AMAZING!
INGREDIENTS:
Apple wood chunks
4 garlic cloves, minced
1 tablespoon salt
2 tablespoons coarsely ground pepper
1 tablespoon dried rosemary
1 teaspoon dried thyme
1 (6-pound) beef rib roast
1 1/2 cups dry red wine
1 1/2 cups red wine vinegar
1/2 cup olive oil
COOKING MUSIC SELECTION: Dr. John - IKO IKO

PREPERATION:
Soak apple wood chunks in water 1 hour. Combine minced garlic and next 4 ingredients, and rub garlic mixture evenly over beef roast. Stir together dry red wine, red wine vinegar, and olive oil; set wine mixture aside. Prepare charcoal fire in smoker; let burn 15 to 20 minutes.

Drain apple wood chunks, and place on coals. Place water pan in smoker, and add water to just below fill line. Place a metal bowl underneath the center rack to catch the juices. Place beef roast in center rack. Gradually pour wine mixture over beef roast.

Cook beef roast, 5 hours or until a meat thermometer inserted into thickest portion of beef roast registers 145° (medium rare), adding more water to depth of fill line, if necessary. Remove beef roast from smoker, and let stand 15 minutes before slicing. Should end up being a nice medium to medium rare.

No comments:

Post a Comment